 Administrative / General / 8651
Re: Lugnet Burp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 06:50:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
Thank you, yes.  Did it really say "out of memory" or was it a "server
temporarily unavailable due to heavy load" message?

When I tried to use NNTP from NS Communicator, I got the "out of memory"
error (sorry, I can't recall the exact text, but I think it was the
error I was seeing during the outages in December before you shut down
the news search). A while later I did get a momentary "server
temporarily unavailable due to heavy load" message when using the web
interface.

OK, thanks.  The first one sounds like an error message from an nntp daemon
and the second one was the server voluntarily cooling itself down from a high
load.  When an active system runs out of physical memory and begins swapping
to disk for more than a few seconds, processes begin to starve and pile up.
That's when things get ugly.  Fortunately, it can be made a lot less ugly by
stuffing more DRAM chips in the machine.  When a system has enough memory, it
doesn't need to swap to disk crazily, and the normal little everday random
load spikes don't snowball into big load problems.

I'm finalizing now the purchase of an additional 640 MB of DRAM for the
lugnet.com server box.  Maxing out the DIMM slots at 768 MB makes the most
sense.  This upgrade will give it six times the amount of physical memory
and ten times the amount of memory available for filesystem cache.

I'll post an announcement when the downtime is scheduled.

--Todd