 Administrative / General / 8515
  Re: Message-ID -> Article number

[redirecting to .admin.nntp] (...) I would really hate to see NNTP Message ID's floating around in HTTP URLs. A workaround is simply to use a standardized NNTP URL format -- for example: news://lugnet.com/qr...eos.uio.no That's postable as-is. Or, (...) (24 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Message-ID -> Article number

(...) I'd hate to see these sorts of references. I'm not always browsing the web interface in a browser that I want the news reader to come up in (and such a reference will be useless to anyone who can't access the nntp server). (...) life a little (...) (24 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Message-ID -> Article number

(...) I wonder why. (...) Great, I'll do that! (...) When I read LUGNET offline at home, the Xref header has the article number on my local news spool. I don't think that number would be too interesting for anybody else. Fredrik (24 years ago, 19-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Message-ID -> Article number

(...) It would still not solve the problem of refering to an article which is refered to by an article you have. Say you have a bunch of LUGNET articles downloaded locally. You want to refer to the parent of an article you have, but you don't have (...) (24 years ago, 19-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Message-ID -> Article number

(...) 1) They're gunky looking. 2) They contain no useful information to a human. 3) They can be very, very long. I've seen some here bigger than 80 characters in length. That makes them unsuitable for URLs. 4) The thought of putting NNTP ID's in an (...) (24 years ago, 19-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Message-ID -> Article number

(...) Something like X-Message-Archive: (URL) be very nice. --Todd (24 years ago, 19-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)