 Administrative / General / 8397
  Private boards?

Okay, so here's a question. Is it technically possible, and/or feasible to have private, possibly password-protected boards set up? The reason I ask is that my local train club does its internal communications by email, and it is quite a burden on (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Private boards?

(...) Can't help you with lugnet, but for wamaltc and wamalug private communications, we use egroups[1]. I'm not completely happy with it, but it does allow you to run votes, store files, and manage a calander... in addition to web posting and (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Private boards?

(...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Private boards?

(...) FWIW, since Todd never answered, I'll poke my nose in and say that at an early NELUG meeting, we asked Todd for something similar, and he declined. I can't remember if it was a technical issue, or a Lugnet-focus issue, though. eric (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Private boards?

(...) Some groups I am in use it as well, we use many of those features and the price is great. Have you figured out how to get egroups to emit a digest of all messages still archived? We have so many messages that the web interface is a bit much, (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Private boards?

(...) I think it was a technical issue. NNTP groups aren't easy to make private without password-protecting connections, etc. --Todd (24 years ago, 2-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Private boards?

(...) D'oh, right. I tend to forget that Lugnet is really a NNTP server, since I use the web connection. eric (24 years ago, 4-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Private boards?

(...) (d'Oh!) LUGNET is not an NNTP server. LUGNET is the international network of user-groups of LEGO products. For the benefit of LEGO users and user-groups worldwide, LUGNET runs an NNTP server on lugnet.com for NNTP news/discussion groups, an (...) (24 years ago, 4-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Private boards?

(...) Gah. Don't you have a day job now, besides correcting me? :D eric (24 years ago, 4-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Private boards?

(...) And the server name for that NNTP service is lugnet.com. So lugnet.com is an NNTP server. Steve (24 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  (canceled)

  Re: Private boards?

(...) Nope, lugnet.com is not an NNTP server. lugnet.com is a second-level domain name. The machine which identifies itself as lugnet.com is a FreeBSD box which is _running_ an NNTP server. (Servers are software, not hardware.) The same physical (...) (24 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Private boards?

(...) I understand what you mean, but if someone asks me what's the NNTP server for LUGNET, I'll still answer "lugnet.com". It's not news.lugnet.com, or nntp.lugnet.com, just "lugnet.com". Steve (24 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.admin.general)