 Administrative / General / 8189
Re: line breaks in my messages, why does this happen ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 21:13:24 GMT

[reposted with corrections]

In lugnet.admin.general, Ben Gatrelle writes:
Doesn't the server do it because you have told it WRAP=HARD.

Is that a delcarative or interrogative statement?  :-)
It is a retorical interrogative statement of what I thought was the truth.
;) Apparently it is not truth, though...

No, the client (web browser) is doing the line breaking.  The WRAP=HARD
attribute of <TEXTAREA> asks the web browser client to wrap the user's text
at the COLS=n margin *before* sending it to the server.  And I just double-
checked in the raw incoming posting form logs for the relevant URLs below to
make sure that this is the case here -- it's not breaking the lines on the
server end.

Here is a web-interface post from June where the line break was automatically
entered at the ? in the URL <http://news.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=6089>

That would be happening at the client side.  But I'll check the raw incoming
form logs...  OK, ya, your web client (browser) sent it line-broken after
the ? in the URL for some strange reason probably only Bill Gates knows.  :-)

This post was broken at the 79th character and was sent in through email
<http://news.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=6123>

In my opinion, that is a godawful evil bug in your email client.  Hmm...It
says it was mailed using "Microsoft Outlook IMO, Build 9.0.2416 (9.0.2910.0)".
Is there a newer version without the wrapping bug?  Had you asked your mail
client to break lines like that?  Maybe it has an option to shut the forced
breaking off.  The email client broke a word into two words! -- this time not
even at a punctuation character.  That's pretty bad -- you should report that
to your software vendor and ask them to fix it.  (Send yourself an equivalent
mail first of course to verify it in case I'm wrong.  :-) • I'll look into this. I don't believe I have any settig for length of a line.

Here is a test post I just did through the web-intterface showing broken
URLs.  <http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/test/?n=2388>

I use IE5.x for my browser and Outlook 2000 for mail.

That's evil.  OK, MSIE isn't handling WRAP=HARD the same was Netscape and
Mozilla handle it.

I just launched my Netscape navigator 4 and replied to the test message
above. I made sure to delete the hard breaks that were there and the result
is the same in Nav4 as my previous post via IE5.
See <http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/test/?n=2389>

Let's try this:  I'll have the server send out WRAP=SOFT if it your browser
identifies itself as "MSIE" in its user-agent string, otherwise it'll send
out WRAP=HARD as normal.

Is that better now or worse?  It should be better, and you should be able
to post your long eBay URLs now.

Better. See <http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/test/?n=2390>. Now it does not
wrap at all, but rather it extends the width of the table cell in which the
text is displayed. What I should have done was type a long parapraph like
this one also to see if this wraps automatically at the end of a word at
character 76 or 77 like you said it should.
--Todd

Here's a great page, BTW -- one for the bookmarks!...
http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/forms/textarea.html

What does your browser do with the "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"
example when you click View?
Results:
     default
Superclifragilisticexpialidocious.