 Administrative / General / 7972
Re: Membership link ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:26:21 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Rose Regner writes:
1. The ability to click on the state flag and find all the members in your
state. In the case of Idaho I'm sure there are only 4 and they all live at
the same address.

I don't have the data indexed by location, so it would have to scan linearly
over all the data.  Perhaps in the future.  For now, you can get the answer
by looking at the "by country" list (everyone on one big page -- give it a
while to load)...

   http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/bycountry.cgi

...and scroll down to U.S. / Idaho.  Or, jump directly there via this:

   http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/bycountry.cgi#usid

2.  I would love to be able to do a search and find all the females that
are members. I know this isn't very useful as you are either male or
female.  This would obviously benefit the minority of females far more
than the males.

I don't think this will ever be a search feature...I think it's too prone to
abuse.  Anyway, remember there's a checkbox on the profile page and signup
form that says "Keep my gender confidential," which means it doesn't show on
someone's profile page, and therefore can't be indexed against, and therefore
wouldn't produce a complete list.

The reason the gender is collected is for demographic reasons and in case
someone has an ambiguous or uncommon name like, for example, Ashley or Chris
or Leslie or Lauri-Pekka and they want to make sure their gender isn't
mistaken one way or the other.

--Todd