 Administrative / General / 7826
Re: Password Tips
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 01:46:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Loch writes:

I just figured out how to easially

Easially?

pass the LUGNET pw test.  Use
lots of special characters.  This one: ^n).F6'%#*><}{#: scores
a whopping 900% with no warnings.  Just make sure you throw in a number
a lower case letter and an upper case letter and you are all set.
That bypasses the pesky /<-R4d dictionary translator (numbers <-> words)
that has probably been messing most people up.  Of course this does
restrict the keyspace significantly, but at least you won't have to
try 300 passwords to get one that passes.

Of course yours doesn't have to be as long as the 900% example.
It diddn't take too long ot come up with ]4b[G which is only 5 characters
yet passes with 350% and absolutely no warnings.  Hey, that's a great
strong pasword. "Excellent" according to the appraisal.

Hey, we better enhance the tester to prevent that password, it's kind of sort
of easy to remember.

<GD&R>

Seriously, I like the active anti cracker defense idea a lot better and I
think that's the better way to solve the problem. Instead of butting heads
with Todd on how secure the password space needs to be due to attack speed,
make it harder to attack.

Everyone wins. Todd gets to be right, we get the password checker turned down
to something reasonable (or off) and crackers get to try a site that's more
likely to be lucrative anyway instead of wasting time here. Like my CU. You
don't even want to know what their password (??) scheme is. It's actually
(even for me, a lax password kind of guy) scary.

++Lar