 Administrative / General / 7796
Re: Password crack detection and slowing (was: Re: LUGNET Memberships)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 07:58:19 GMT

The objective is to limit the overall throughput of brute force or dictionary
cracking attempts, so it wouldn't be necessary to delay upon success, and in
fact delaying upon success (after failure) would make it possible for a
cracker on a shared HTTP proxy server to DoS other innocent people making
legitimiate requests from the same shared IP address.  So not delaying upon
success, even after failure, prevents DoS on shared proxy servers.  :-)

Oh!  One other thing, duh.  An advantage this has over pure semaphores or
mutexes is that, since it has a sort of "memory" about how many times an IP
address has recent sent a failure, it could easily respond with immediate
403 errors (upon continued failure) to the client after it hit some threshold
of failures, or respond with 'Location:' headers pointing at random IP
addresses elsewhere.  ;-)

   print "Location: http://@{[join '.', map {int rand 256} (0..3)]}/\n\n";

Yah, I like that.

--Todd