 Administrative / General / 7583
Re: So where is Brad's answer to the 2001 info?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 22:49:59 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:
- What is a "reasonable" amount of time? I would argue that for many things, a
"reasonable" amount of time does not allow the above sequence to be followed
given the speed at which information can propagate electronically.

However, it has an effect which the more draconian-seeming approach of going
over the head of the original poster doesn't -- it makes other people more
likely to voluntarily stop spreading the information.

If the original poster would have posted a message saying

"Oops; Lego tells me that the information I posted was supposed to be
  confidential. I guess Target screwed up. I've deleted my message
  containging the information.  Please don't spread it anymore. Thanks."

then I would have been more instintively inclined to feel sympathetic. When
the posts are removed in a way that feels like censorship (whether it really
is or not), it makes people get a little thrill out of passing the info
around despite the edict: makes us feel like we're the Underground
Resistance stickin' it to the Man.

Interacting with people personally and respectfully goes a long way towards
countering this. Acting in a heavy-handed manner to crush the information
may actually make it spread faster.

Absolutely -- I agree! -- and when I said before that I preferred clear legal
requests to non-legal requests, I don't mean I prefer to heard heavy-handed
manners :) but just to know that it's a legal request for removal.  It can be
perfectly polite (as LEGO always is, in my experience), but it's gotta clearly
be a legal request and not an appeal to sensibilities or anything fuzzy like
that.

--Todd