 Administrative / General / 7578
Re: So where is Brad's answer to the 2001 info?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:32:15 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Brad, this is not iso-8859-1, as the header claims. It's Microsoft's
proprietary character set, which does not render as you expect on other
operating systems. See: <http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/>.
What looks like dashes and apostrophes on MS Windows are actually supposed
to be control characters according to the Unicode standard and ISO 8859.

For the record, I decided that this post was more noise than necessary and
canceled it (and sent a private message). But since you replied anyway... :)

thrilled about putting a demoronizer in on the NNTP-incoming side, since
the articles' origins are purely external there, but on the HTTP-incoming
side, where stuff is interactive and it has to do things like line-wrapping
already (to work around problematic browsers that don't do this at the
client side), the text could be demoronized right as it was received, or,
alternatively, the message could be rejected (with an explanation) if it
was moronized.  I wonder which way is the better way to go.

Either one would make me happier. I'd prefer it done on the NNTP side, but I
understand your hesitation there. I'd suggest demoronizing the messages
automatically and giving a terse explanation. Rejecting the articles
completely would be nice from a fight-Microsoft point of view, but it seems
like it might be a bit vindictive -- the poor user almost certainly isn't
doing it intentionally.

--
Matthew Miller                     --->                 mattdm@mattdm.org
Quotes 'R' Us                    --->              http://quotes-r-us.org/