 Administrative / General / 7573
7572  |  7574
Subject:
Purpose of .lego.direct??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 13:46:48 GMT

G'day folks,

I recently stumbled upon the ruckus in .dear-lego about this-and-that of late
pertaining to LEGO Direct's interaction with LUGNET.  As I had not been
following much of the posts leading up to that, someone referred me to
the .lego.direct group for more info.  Specifically, this was in regard to
some kind of "leak" of new set info.

Prior to entering the group, I read the general post from Todd that explains
the intended difference between .dear-lego and .lego.direct.  As I understand
it, .lego.direct is supposed to be a path for directing messages specifically
to personnel at LEGO Direct, such as Mr. Brad Justus, and not to be used for a
general discussion area.  But what I found upon entering the group was that I
had to go back through about 140 messages to find the "start" of the thread
(excluding the deleted messages).  The content of only a very, very few of
those messages could be taken as questions directed to LEGO Direct.  The rest
were just general discussion of recent events and untargeted "open letters".
As I understand it these sorts of posts should have gone to .dear-lego or some
other suitable forum.

Eventually I did find a message from Suzanne asking everyone to cut the signal-
to-noise ratio in the group, after which the chatter seemed to cease.

As I have not followed these groups to-date (but certainly will now), am I
understanding their respective intended purposes correctly?  Would it perhaps
be helpful to somehow reinforce to LUGNET users those "mission statements" for
both the .dear-lego and the .lego.direct groups?  Some folks at LD must be
pretty confused with all the traffic...

Thanx,
KDJ
Kyle D. Jackson, P.Eng., Windsor, Ontario, Canada, LUGNETer #203