 Administrative / General / 7427
Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 18:45:26 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Eric Joslin writes:
I'm just a little confused, I guess.

A list of (possible) upcoming set names, set numbers, and prices was
posted.  TLC asked you to remove them.  Are you really saying that if I
went over to lugnet.space and said "well, I wonder what set number XXXX
'Blah blah blah' is going to be like?

Err, oops.  That sentence makes no sense.

I meant is, if I did that, TLC wouldn't care?  If not, why not?  The same
info from the list could then just end up repackaged and still getting out
there.

You'll have to ask TLC -- post to lugnet.lego.direct and see if/how they answer
that.  Or write via e-mail directly to Brad.

I can only speculate that, while they may be annoyed, they may not have any
legal grounds for getting upset in the legal sense if you talked about it
in uncertain terms because, if you don't quote your source, any facts and
figures are arguably just speculation or rumors on your part -- it gives them
plausible deniability or something like that.  In other words, I think when
sensitive leaked information comes from a verifiably accurate source (i.e.,
from a person working retail and extracting the information from computer at
a known store chain), it may be quite different from the same information
being talked about informally.  Again, I am not a lawyer and this should not
be interpreted as qualified legal advice.  I'm just guessing.  My personal
advice, as always, is to err on the safe side.  Don't piss LEGO off, don't
do things that get yourself in trouble with LEGO or make the community look
bad.  You can take that advice or ignore it -- it's not edict.  Just make
sure that whatever you do, you don't violate TLC's legal rights to privacy or
whatnot.  If it's unclear how to do that, consult a qualified attorney or
just steer clear to be safe.

--Todd