 Administrative / General / 7414
Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 16:37:13 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Andreas Stabno writes:

I'd say the simple answer is that the competition is watching also.  If Sony,
Nintendo, Disney, and K-nex all catch wind of next year's release at an early
enough time, they can adjust their marketing strategies to combat TLC's
success.

I think that's too simple an answer.  The list didn't contain any really
shocking information.  It had some Star Wars sets, which are fairly
recognisable by their names- and then it had some other set names which could,
frankly, be just about anything.  Certainly nothing earth-shattering, and
nothing the competition couldn't have figured on Lego doing without the aid of
a very non-specific[1] list.

I think that's too simple a dismissal. See my previous post about isolated
facts and how they can add up to Really Big Secrets. "this fact by itself
doesn't tell you much" is not a valid defense in and of itself. Besides,
unless we're in the penalty phase of a suit, evaluating damages, who cares
about value?

The information was secret because it is TLC information and because TLC said
it's secret. That's good enough for me. Either you respect property rights or
you don't, it's a matter of kind, not degree. If TLC says a gum wrapper is
theirs you don't get to nick it because it's not worth very much.

++Lar