 Administrative / General / 7051
Re: Help! Can't post a specific message
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 21:12:00 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
Basically, it thinks you're posting a tall block of binary-encoded data
with checksums and comments on each line.  The threshold exceeded 1.0 and
triggered "contains binary" status on the 12th line of the table, which is
coincidentally one line above a line which is one character shorter.  Thus,

G'day Todd,
Thanx for looking in this.  Looks like my suspicion was right.  I flooded the
Test newsgroup with a bunch of experimental posts and also found the problem
occurring on the 12th line.  I tried adding and removing lines after that and
it was hit and miss whether or not it bounced on post, depending on the line
content.  Just one of those weird coincidences I guess.  At least if I see it
again now I'll know what to do with it.

Oh.  Sorry, I guess I wasn't explicit enough in my reply -- I consider that
the behavior you encountered was a sort of bug.  Although the code per se was
functioning correctly, it wasn't being smart enough about whitespace (it saw
whitespace like any other character).  Changing the "rules" of recognition
allows it to handle whitespace specially.

In other words, you actually don't have to worry about what to do next time
it occurs because it won't happen again -- it's now much much more lenient
about columnar data with whitespace (e.g., tabular data).

You can now post your message exactly as you had originally intended.

--Todd