 Administrative / General / 6787
Re: Dot's ALT tag
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 17:02:57 GMT

Me too. I wonder how complex it would be to implement, though. It might slow
down presenting the tree significantly, or it may have almost no impact,
depending on how the tree is constructed.

The tree currently only records a copy of the basic minimal information needed
to draw itself -- namely the parent and child message id's.  Since it doesn't
cache copies of any data found inside articles themselves (such as the poster's
name or the newsgroup) it would mean either fetching that info explicitly at
each node or reworking the data structure of the tree itself to cache that
info.  My sense is that it wouldn't be prohibitively slow to fetch the info on
the fly (that's what it does anyway in the &v=[abc] tree views), but I haven't
done any speed tests on the v=d (dots) view which also shows up on each article
display.  It would certainly get faster on subsequent displays due to automatic
background caching.  Anyway, ya it would be very easy to implement in a
straightforward way disregarding any possible speed issues.

--Todd