 Administrative / General / 663
Re: Life of messages....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 17:23:19 GMT

"Richard Dee" <richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net> writes:

Todd, how long do messages remain on the LUGnet server?
I have cached headers now approaching the 2000 mark on *.general
and *.robotics. (well, 3546 total actually..)
I've deleted the actual messages, but am loathe
to delete headers as well if I find that I download the lot
again!
Just curious, as MS OE doesn't clear the messages like it does
Usenet. (I manually clear out messages every few days).

Some groups will probably start expiring their messages in January.  One of
the nice things about the NNTP news article format with incremental
numberings on the articles is that you can have tens of thousands articles
in a single ng on the server and the client still zips through obtaining any
new ones just as quickly as if there were only ten or a hundred articles.
If you explicitly delete messages you've read and your newsreader reloads
them every time you ask it to refresh the group list, you might consider
obtaining a different/new newsreader -- a newsreader shouldn't always be
displaying every single message in a newsgroup -- only the ones you haven't
yet read.  That's the theory anyway.

--Todd