 Administrative / General / 6608
Re: Directed Market Listing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 13:52:22 GMT

Scott A wrote:

"Larry Pieniazek" <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message
news:FuG6wB.KH@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Kieran Brady writes:

I am not a retailer, I am not out to make a quick buck, I just
wanted to help....
God knows, most of us spend more than we should on Lego :-) - if • there's
anything going a bit cheaper than normal, I myself am usually 'up for • it',
and I welcome any solicitations through newsgroups or
direct email that concerns good deals on Lego sets that otherwise I • might
never have access to buying.
If I don't want to buy, I just trash it (the email)(but keep the • sender's
address - who knows what he/she might find for us next month?)

Yet another argument for an "opt in" list.

I'd gladly receive targeted, brief, occasional mail (NOT auction updates
unless i request them, mind you, but announcements of upcoming auctions,
sales, etc) from any responsible LEGO sellers that think their wares might • be
of interest to me. I bet there are a lot of people who feel the same way. • I
hesitate to suggest posting a list of email addresses on a web page, • that's not
secure enough, it's just asking to be harvested by a trolling spambot.

Anyone out there bored and clever enough to write a little doohickey that • lets
one register interest to a list of addresses and will forward mail on to • that
list after collecting the real address of the forwarder and checking to • see
that it is real (perhaps by mailing out a confirmation code that has to be • used
when one is ready to mail the real thing) ??

It's not high priority enough to get Todd to do right now I don't suspect, • but
eventually it belongs here, I reckon.

Would setting up a group called l.m.auction.announce and then subscibing by
e-mail not do the same thing?

How about the following group and suggested charter:

lugnet.market.announce

purpose - for people to announce large auctions and large private parts
or set sales. The definition of "large" is somewhat subjective, but for
parts sales/auctions, should be at least X lots or Y parts (perhaps
100/1000). Only ONE announcement is allowed per event. For all
announcements, the post should be short and sweet. It should give a
general idea of the types of items included, and a pointer to a web page
or a "send for complete list". Announcement of eBay (or any other such
venue) listings is acceptable, HOWEVER, such listings should occur no
more than once per week (and that may be too often). Since such a post
should provide the URL for an eBay (or whatever) search of all items
you're selling, if you will be putting things up over several days, but
want to place an announcement the first day, you should indicate that
more items will be put up each day for the next N days so people who are
interested will know to check back occaisionally. If you run a somewhat
permanent sale or auctions, posts should really only be made when
something really significant shows up, or perhaps once a month or so
(but you might be better off asking Todd to place a link to your site on
the appropriate market home page). Posts MUST also have a descriptive
subject, starting with either FA or FS (and starting with FA(xyz) if
using a commercial auction service such as eBay, i.e. FA(eBay)), and
should also include the themes of parts or somethink like that. Sales
which are limited to a particular country must indicate such in the
subject line (ex. AU only).

One problem with this idea, is that you will be opting in to ALL
listings. A centralized opt in list would let you specify things like:

- NO auctions
- parts auctions or sales only
- Space, Pirate, Technic
- UK only

If a seller sent an announcement which was not reasonably applicable to
the interest of the recipient as indicated, the recipient would be able
to lodge a complaint, and potentially have the seller removed from
permission to use the list (though this would be hard to enforce, one
advantage of a listserve or Lugnet group is that a bad apple can be
blocked from posting).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com