 Administrative / General / 6483
6482  |  6484
Subject:
support & disclaimer on homepage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 21:23:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.dear-lego, Scott Arthur writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Brad Justus writes:
[...]
We intend also to provide support, either financial or otherwise, to as
many of the LEGO communities and clubs out there (both online and off)
as we can. I've even spoken to Todd Lehman regarding how we can provide
support for LUGNET (without, of course, in any way comprising its
independence.  [...]

Just to clarify, for those curious...

If Brad is talking about what I'm thinking of, then in a phone conversation
in December, I simply made Brad aware of LUGNET's donations webpage,

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/finance/donations/

which I thought would be a very nice way (from my point of view) for TLC
to show support for LUGNET.  I also mentioned that anonymous donations
were accepted, meaning that if TLC ever wanted to contribute financially
but not have this known publicly, it would be held in confidence.

Todd
I think you be well within your rights to do that. But I hope you'd do us
the courtesy of changing the homepage?

I mean this bit:

"Welcome to the international fan-created LEGO® Users Group Network! This
is a place for LEGO® fans of all ages to find information, meet one another,
and share ideas. As an independent site by fans, for fans, it is neither
sponsored nor endorsed by the LEGO Company."

Interesting timing with your post, Scott.  :-)

On April 27 (just 5 days ago) we received a small financial donation "on
behalf of The LEGO Company" from Brad Justus.

I'm not sure yet how or whether this will affect the disclaimer on the
homepage, as it is a form support, but I believe it is not sponsorship or
endorsement in any legal sense.  This is something we'll ask about when we
meet with Brad and his counsel in a couple of weeks to have a general
informational and ice-breaking meeting.

We also sent an overnight-express letter last Thursday recapitulating in
writing our understanding of the donation.  I'll paste relevant excerpts
from that letter at the bottom of this post.

Brad indicated in a phone conversation in April that he would like to apprise
the community that he has made a financial donation to LUGNET.  We agreed
that this would be a good idea.  Brad did not request that the donation remain
secret or anonymous prior to his announcement of it.  As far as I know he
still intends to mention it at some point.  I don't know if he plans to
disclose the dollar amount.

--Todd

[Excerpt from April 27, 2000 letter to Brad Justus at LEGO Direct]

Dear Brad:

We are in receipt of your April x letter and your April x bank draft
in the amount of $x USD, which we deposited today with gratitude.

Our understanding of this donation is as follows:

(1)  LSI Operating Account bank draft #x dated x-Apr-2000 and its
accompanying cover letter dated x-Apr-2000 do together imply an
intangible gift of present interest in the amount of $x USD from
donor LEGO Systems, Inc., of the State of Connecticut, to donee Todd S.
Lehman, assignee of LUGNET, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts; and

(2)  Said donation is a gratuitous gift and is not an onerous gift;
acceptance of said donation does not constitute or imply any agreement,
binding or otherwise, between LEGO Systems, Inc. or LEGO Direct and
LUGNET or its assignees; and

(3)  Said donation does not imply sponsorship or open approval of
LUGNET by LEGO Direct, LEGO Systems, Inc., or The LEGO Company.

[...]

Thank you again and we look forward to meeting you soon.

Best Regards,

Todd S. Lehman                     Suzanne D. Rich
LUGNET                             LUGNET