 Administrative / General / 624
Re: Line wrapping
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 02:31:41 GMT

Tom McDonald writes:
Most of the time I forget to clean up long lines. Sorry about that, but they
don't look long when I type them. I was curious as to why lugnet doesn't
do that automatically, or should I even ask? Since I'm not an administrator
I have no idea of the amount of time you put into this thing, but I'm
assuming it's quite a bit. Thanks for the continued great service.

I was kind of crossing my fingers and hoping that people would only be using browsers which support Netscape's WRAP=HARD extension of the <TEXTAREA> tag.  It looks like you're running MSIE 3.02 for Win95, which doesn't support the feature.

As a workaround, I wrote a line-wrapper which wraps any lines that the browser doesn't wrap. I'm posting this reply using MSIE 3.02 to verify the workaround. (These lines should be wrapped at 79 characters.)

Unfortunately, Microsoft in their typical infinite wisdom has written MSIE 3.02 so that it uses a proportional-spaced font by default in the <TEXTAREA> tag.  :-/ (This means that a line of all i's or l's has many more characters than a line of all m's or w's, which means that if you put explicit line breaks into the text, they're not in the right places for netnews because netnews is designed to be monospaced rather than proportional.)  I'm not sure how it is in MSIE 4.

Anyway, if this message comes out properly wrapped, then from now on you won't need to worry about wrapping when posting from the web interface.
(Or, at the very least, you won't need to worry about it much.)

--Todd

p.s.  Quoted text (lines beginning with > characters) is allowed to grow arbitrarily long. Super-long URLs and hugely long words are also kept intact.