 Administrative / General / 6218
Re: A Question on Logging in and posting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 16:31:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

As I understand it, there is currently no integration between the userid and
the various cookies (news setup, mail subscription setup) and therefore,
knowledge of who you are is not taken advantage of to any meaningful extent.
[...]

That's correct -- the e-mail addresses entered on member pages aren't yet
verified in a way that lets them be automatedly linked with posting.

The single-group News-by-Mail subscription change that went up a few days ago,

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=6083

includes a break-out and simplification of the e-mail "confirmation code" form:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/mail/ccode/

It's generalized enough (albeit currently at a dumb URL and with specific
text) to be "callable" from (and returnable to) anywhere else in the system --
i.e., a member config page.  Breaking it out is an intermediate step toward
being able to confirm a list of e-mail addresses associated with a member.

On the other hand, now that you mention rushing things out the door, it
wouldn't be strictly necessary actually to confirm an email address of a
member who wants to post -- that doesn't happen now and it can't even happen
via NNTP (without NNTP passwords).  So a "rush job" which might work for you
is a field in the member config where you could fill in the same stuff that
you've filled in here:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/

(And actually the system could just fetch this from your cookie to save you
from having to re-enter it, if you've got it in a cookie) and then could take
it "on faith" (subject to the "I promise I'm not submitting fraudulent info"
checkbox like the news setup) that what you've provided is correct.)

I suspect that would relieve a fair amount of frustration at relatively low
risk to the server.

Another option -- maybe this is even simpler -- would be to have a member
config page that you could go to which would "snarf" a copy of your cookies
(news posting setup & news-by-mail confirmation code), if present, and store
them in your member record.  That way, you wouldn't have to fill in any new
form and I wouldn't have to make any new form -- it would just leverage the
existing forms.

Even better yet -- reverse things -- put a checkbox on the forms which send
cookies allowing a signed-in member to have the info stored both (or either)
in a checkbox and his/her member record.  No new pages to create, remember,
or link to that way.

All of the above are workarounds or kludges -- adding layers on top for short
term gain -- but PLMK if they would save time or spare frustration for those
using multiple machines.  Once something was in your member record, you
wouldn't have to do the news-posting-setup or confirmation-code setup on
different machines -- the member sign-in would take care of it all.

A side note:  The member thing and news thing developed backwards from the
original plan.  Originally, memberships were going to be the very first thing,
and the forums were going to be members-only built on top of that.  That
changed when the NNTP server went in, which opened new doors.  Thus, the NNTP
user config/setup -- which evolved as needs arose -- ended up with minimalistic
configuration via cookies rather than records on the server.  It's kind of a
legacy thing which makes integration with real memberships kludgey.  In the
future it may go one of two ways -- either the news/mail setup stuff will have
to be duplicated or leveraged in the context of memberships, or the old
news/mail stuff will have to be thrown out and resurrected as a new type of
membership with restricted attributes (this would much simplify things).
It's also always been a steep challenge to explain the difference between a
member and a user -- it would probably be better simply to have different
types of things all called memberships.

--Todd