 Administrative / General / 5943
Re: FS: 8 New Bulls Soldiers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 22:55:27 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
[...] (Also, is there any anti-combing measure in place to prevent some
enterprising spammer from coming in and reading them?)

The web interface atop the newsgroups does its best to weed out crawlers and
address harvesters and things, but I don't think it could ever guarantee
anything, because a harvester could still come in randomly at a very low
frequency (once per few minutes, for example), or could go through the NNTP
route or receive messages via email.  There's no way to prevent harvesting,
only to minimize it.  So far I've stopped 2 crawl attacks in the past 13
months.

--Todd