 Administrative / General / 5718
5717  |  5719
Subject:
My view (Lego-Diect debate)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 05:17:39 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Unlike the anomolous virtual coffeehouses and taverns (as well as more
lasivious chat rooms and internet newsgroups) I view Lugnet as being a place
of refuge w/ a physical corporial component... a private home, not Yankee
stadium, that many of us are allowed to visit practicall rent free...

In my personal life I am given to spirited debate, frequent use of
expletives, and some generally raunchy behavior ...therefore, I guess it is
ironic that I think that my usual behavior is inappropriate here...but, then
again, I am not swilling a quart of Guiness motor oil, playing pool in a
smoky, dark room surrounded by people w/ tatoos in places I would not think
to look...I am sitting in my own domicile, interacting w/ people in their
own homes and workplaces, principly due to the generosity and ingenuiy of
another couple who have invited us into their lives (their hobbies and their
server = )  Inthis case I think I should act accordingly...

For some reason it is alot easier for me to be more outrageous in the real
world than I could ever be on-line...It is quite easy to act in such a
manner in cyberspace without fear of dire consequence... for some reason I
can't define (maybe it's shyness or a sense of gratefulness that Lugnet
exists) I am compelled to guard my words and behavior more here than
elsewhere...similar to visiting a new neighbor or prospective customer...no
Lugnet is not my church or Holy place, but it is a special place for me...

Given the presence of minors as well as people from all over the world, I
feel a need to "put my best foot forward"...those who know me better will
agree I am quite rough around the edges, warped in some ways, and liberal in
my use of expletives (best deleted in this forum-I am actually quite
animated and funny = ). I guess I have been a suit and tie sales guy too long...

Call me old fashioned, but in a newsgroup(dear-Lego) that is more likely to
be read by the decision makers at Lego I wish to influence, I think more
respectful, reasoned, coherent, logical, thoughtful discussion can only
benefit my agenda...professionals seem to respect other professionals...

Some may consider my logic antiquated, flawed, circular, hypocritical, or
inconsistent, but this is who I am...this is what I feel, this is how I
live...no aplogies...no regrets...