 Administrative / General / 5167
Re: Cleaning up the main homepage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 18:05:10 GMT

I gave it a +lugnet, which I think (since you're just doing character
matching) will include everything and should be the same net effect on
groups shown as just feeding it a blank input box... (but does it
process slower??)

That would be ever so slightly slower than an empty string, yes.  I'm not
sure it could be easily measured, though...talking probably something on
the order of a 10^-5 second difference.

*Since* you're doing character matching (??) are there things that could
be fed that would give undesired effects? or are you doing word
matching, that is, you don't match partials.

It's doing pure & simple character matchines, ya, so there could be
undesirable effects.  As a tradeoff for trying to explain this at the top,
it gives a concrete list of matches & non-matches at the bottom.

(what would the effect of -market.sh be, in other words, would it
exclude shipping and shopping, or exclude nothing, because "sh" doesn't
exactly match any "word" (. delimited) of any group name?)

It would exclude both lugnet.market.shipping & lugnet.market.shopping.

This may be something you want to explain further on the page (or is it
too geeky??)

Probably not too geeky and probably worth explaining somewhere.  One
undesirable effect in particular is if you say

   -.loc

you end up removing lugnet.games.lego.loco!  :-)  The fix for that is simply
to use

   -.loc.

or

   -lugnet.loc.