 Administrative / General / 5125
Re: Cleaning up the main homepage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:44:41 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:

[Todd said]
Thus, to lessen the noise levels on the root homepage, the server now
"hides" messages appearing in the following parts of the newsgroup tree:

  lugnet.admin.*
  lugnet.market.auction
  lugnet.market.jambalaya
  lugnet.off-topic.*

[then Scott replied]
I’d argue that the problem with the admin groups is that there is too little
participation on the discussions there by the general LUGNet masses.

[and Todd replied thusly]

That's certainly not a problem at all.  The admin groups exist at all because
it's better to have things out in the open for people who care, than to have
them be completely private.  People who care what goes on, will participate.
People who don't care, won't.  Not everyone cares, or should even have to.
Everyone's level of dedication to the hobby is different.

I side with Todd here.  In fact, this is my first substantive post to any group
in lugnet.admin.* because, frankly, I don't care to be bothered with
administrative minutae.  My job is filled with details and decisions, and I
prefer not to have that kind of responsibility imposed on my hobby.  Though some
may argue with Todd's choice of "noisy" groups, I'm glad to know he's taking
steps towards custom "pruning" of the discussion group tree on a per-user basis.
I care not one whit about auctions, for example, and would like to see them
removed from *my* view of LUGNET.  And if I don't like that, I'm free to fire up
the old newsreader and filter that way.  LUGNET is a voluntary-membership
community: if you don't like the way the community is going, you can form your
own, or complain to/bribe/throw off-brands at Todd, or whatever.  Since the
website is just a pretty front-end to an NNTP server, I know that if I'm unhappy
with the direction it goes, I can fall back on lower-level interfaces, like a
newsreader, or groups-by-email.

Building a web community is *hard work* -- building a user interface to the
same, doubly so.  When I first stumbled across LUGNET, my last experience to an
online Lego presence was seeing RTL formed from the ashes of ATL
(alt.toys.lego)... then being totally turned off by the overwheling auction
posts.  (Actually, I think Todd was to blame for some of these. ;-)  I was
pleased to see that LUGNET offered some form of topic hierarchy, and that I
could essentially block the pecky auction/off-topic/admin debates as needed.

- Mike, an old ATL/RTL'er, and LUGNET #158