 Administrative / General / 4832
  Re: Article scoring

(...) Ah - yep I understood the sqrt part. What I meant is that creating a list of the most popular messages skews the vote - because the most votes will end up being put on items on the list, only because people use the list to browse. From a (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Article scoring

(...) I almost get what you're getting at, but I'm stuck on one part of it. In the early stages of an article's appearance, let's say it's position 19 out of 20 on a top-20 page, and let's say only 7 people have voted +1 on it so far. Should it, in (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Article scoring

(...) I'm not sure if referenced votes *should* be weighted differently, I just thought I'd throw it in :) Hmm.. if you did weight top-20 page posts differently, then *really* cool posts in low-traffic groups would still get ignored.. unless you (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)