 Administrative / General / 4627
Re: About auctions and newsgroups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 19:44:23 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ray Sanders writes:
lugnet.market.auction- Auction announcements, updates,
   listings, and analysis; NOTE: this group is the ONLY group where
   auction announcements or updates are appropriate

Note that 'discussion' is not present. Discussion may fall under
analysis, but I'm not sure.  [...]

Ya, discussion was always meant to fall under analysis.  I'm not sure what
kind of auction discussions aren't analytical of the auctions, but I suppose
it should be added just for clarity's sake.

OK, it now says:

   lugnet.market.auction - Auction announcements, updates, listings,
   discussions, and analysis; NOTE: this group is the ONLY group where
   auction announcements or updates are appropriate

[...]
o there is no anointed place to discuss an third parties auction
(unless analysis covers this)
[...]

Yes, certainly!  If you're discussing the auction per se.  In very rare cases
like the Modulex auction a few months ago, discussing it in .general might
make the most sense if you're discussing Modulex per se and not the auction
per se.

o discussions will most likely get lost in the parade of one-shot
announcements

I think that depends on how interesting the discussion is.  An uninteresting
discussion can get lost in any relatively high-traffic group.  In fact, a
discussion thread in a group like .market.auction where most threads are
one-shots probably stands out even more there (which is probably good for the
discussion).

--Todd