 Administrative / General / 4421
Re: Pre Auction Anouncment/Sale/Trade - Parts & Sets (8448 / 7171 / Pirates)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 20:23:48 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote in message
<1u8bass0c4pakeh9fjtcif3nuou5q79chv@4ax.com>...
On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:31:25 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com>
wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
I'm of the opinion that it _should_ be as wrong as posting an auction
announcement, but this ain't my sandbox.

I feel that way too -- almost -- with the main exception being loc groups,
especially if someone wanted to conduct their sale or trade purely in • their
local region/country/language/currency.  IMHO, it probably ought to be • more
verboten in theme groups than in loc groups...?

Yeah, I forgot about these, which is really funny, because something I
_want_ to do right now is offer items for sale in the knoxville loc
group so I can settle up quickly and with little effort with a few
local people.

I've feared that would be frowned upon.  Now I guess not?

And yes, more verboten in theme groups than in loc groups, imo.

In my opinion, the amount of non-auction market traffic which has occurred
outside of the market groups is fairly reasonable. I think there are times
when it is reasonable for a market post to occur in a theme group (one
example, look at the train windows and doors consortium business, when that
started getting highly discussed outside lugnet.trains, there was large
amounts of discussion of adding more and more parts, and complaints about
exclusiveness and all sorts of crud, which those who were closest to what
was really going on feared might torpedo the whole thing).

Clearly market posts where the person making the offer wants to restrict the
offer to a local area do not belong in the regular market groups (and I
would even go so far out on a limb as to include auction posts here, but I'm
not sure how much value one would have to a local auction, except in a few
areas, perhaps the areas with enough people to support local auctions should
have their own auction group if people are interested). For certain areas,
it might be reasonable to have a local market group (for example the UK
sounds like a candidate). This does bring up the issue of someone wanting to
only trade within the US, should the general market groups accept US only
offers?

I would like to see the T&C more clearly indicate where it is appropriate to
post market posts, including a discussion that "sealed bid auctions" are
allowed under the same conditions as buy/sell/trade, not under the same
conditions as auctions. It should also state that unless a market group
exists for a local region, buy/sell/trade/shopping posts which are region
specific are welcome in the local groups. The T&C should also give some
guidelines as to when it is appropriate to post buy/sell/trade/shopping
notices in the theme groups. I'd also favor groups like lugnet.general not
having ANY market posts. The roasting Jason took for his post to
lugnet.trains is a clear example of why the T&C need to be improved. Many of
the complaints were throwing the rule book at him (totally unfairly of
course since the rules say nothing against what he did). I do realize that
some of the complaints focused on the fact that he admitted that he might
not be posting in the right place, but that doesn't seem reason to roast
someone when according to the rules they haven't done something wrong.

I would also like to see lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands specifically welcome
clone auctions, with a provision that if the market traffic there reaches a
level which causes complaints, that the rules will change (and I do note
that there have been a couple auctions announced there, and have seen no
evidence of complaint from anyone or censure by Todd).

Frank