 Administrative / General / 4397
Re: Pre Auction Anouncment/Sale/Trade - Parts & Sets (8448 / 7171 / Pirates)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 00:03:56 GMT

Scott-A wrote in message ...

Some of these are close to the line, others cross it:
http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=4246 (one of my ones)

Hmm, wording on that one is actually a little clearer.

But there was no problem at the time?

Sorry, shortcutting. I was saying that that posting is more clear what you
are offering than your current posting. I know both have the same intent,
the older one is better worded. Still, I think you could be more clear that
you really are looking for offers prior to putting it on eBay. That
basically puts it into the "sealed bid auction" which is allowed outside of
lugnet.market.auction.

http://www.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=6015

That's purely an offer to sell, and not being an auction posting is ok in
the theme group.

How doesit evan relate to lego?

It relates to Star Wars. The Star Wars group specifically includes non-LEGO
specific discussion (more so than any of the other theme groups I think).

http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=4580

This is an offer to trade. Just pointing out that his recent list of sets • he
is auctioning is available for trade.

Still borderline.

No. It's sort of a reverse sealed bid auction. He has indicated a want, and
pointed you to a list of things you ask for in your offer.

http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=4554

This is a request for possible prices. This is a little murky, but • doesn't
seem to be an auction.

It does appear to be a pre-action anouncment?

Actually, in some ways, a specific group might be usefull for these, but
sometimes it may be appropriate to go to a theme group to ask about the
possible value of something. This is a murky area. Restricting these to
lugnet.market.auction would limit their effectiveness, but they also can
annoy people. On the other hand, I would like people who have something that
they aren't sure if it's worth enough to make it worth their trouble to
offer, to be able to solicit a good idea of the value. If you have (pick an
unusual set out of the air) a 232 Bungalow set, and you like the brown 1x6x5
windows, but nothing else, and feel that the set is worth $20 or so, and
don't solicit a response, we might all lose (from what I can infer about the
set from the Pause DB picture, and the brown windows w/1 green shutter that
I have, I would value this set as much more than $20, I would value the
windows in it at $20, and someone else might value the whole set at over
$100).

http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=4478

This is an offer to trade, with a hint that they might be auctioned in • the
future.

A slither away from what I did.?

Better wording. Your intent was ok (from my understanding - both of your
intent and Todd's policy), your wording was poor, and hard to understand.

Yes. But what I did was a honest post. No dubiety. No bending the rules. No
worse than any of the above?

It was sloppy. You've been sloppy in the past. I can understand Todd's
frustration.

Frank