 Administrative / General / 4185
4184  |  4186
Subject:
lugnet.fun.competition ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 17:32:00 GMT

I guess I just like to see free LEGO flying around :) But it would be nice to
have a place where people could organise competitions or go to enter - I've run
one in market.buy-sell-trade, and more recently in fun.community, but neither
of these seemed like particularly satisfactory places.

It could also be a more general place to discuss how to organise LEGO
competitions at parties, experiences, especially on the most painful part - how
to judge, or at least - how to judge without feeling mean and guilty :)

The existance of such a group would, I believe, make people think about setting
up their own competitions, whereas they might never have considered it.
Furthermore, it could be a place to discuss LEGO.com competitions, or any other
third-party competition.

It might be helpful to have a set of standard disclaimers as well that will
apply to all competitions, unless specifically mentioned - it's a pain when you
forget to ask peoples permission to publish their entries :) Something like:

* Unless otherwise stated, the creater of the entry retains full copyright, but
permits the organiser of a competition to publish the entry.

If the group got a lot of traffic then it might be a good idea to get someone
to maintain a page on it - with details of past and future competitions, and a
link to any standard disclaimer.

I'm maybe getting a little too excited and ahead of myself here, but would it
be possible to use LUGNET as a safe hub? Ie. if I wanted to run a competition
for under 16s, then immeadiately there are security and legal considerations!

Could I mail the prizes to LUGNET, and for a fee, use LUGNET to forward them
onto the winner - that way I don't know the winners address? Would it be
technically feasible to email 105.members@lugnet.com ? Where 105 would be my
membership ID, and the server could then strip out the FROM field and pass it
on. Hmm, maybe that is open to abuse.

Sorry to ramble.. I meant this to be a short message, I just got carried away
:)

Richard