 Administrative / General / 3656
Re: Enhanced verification (was: Re: What the F.......)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:41:09 GMT

Some neat ideas

One thing I was thinking about while mulling this over is that if this
is an all or nothing deal, it gets intrusive. However, if it is
something that you can use when you need to (on a per append basis
instead of a per user basis) it seems really good.

Sort of <full verification mode> This is me speaking and everything I
said in the following posts was me too, but this one here, that was an
imposter </full verification mode>

IOW, you only use it when you absolutely have to! If someone asks
offline or if someone is seen spoofing you, you turn it on just long
enough to say what was you and what wasn't.

With such a mode, restricting it to the web interface only isn't that
onerous.

That sidesteps the "can you get NNTP to do this" question entirely as
you can say which NNTP posts were authentic while in full verification
mode.