 Administrative / General / 3351
Re: Thread-view oddity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 06:10:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Steve Bliss writes:
I was in the web-interface, looking at the 'Entire Thread on one Page'
presentations for <http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3156>, and I noticed
that the "linear all" view sorts by posting timestamp.  In this case, it
puts the first follow-up *before* the original message.

Well, hmm, that's certainly broken, isn't it...  :-o

Looking at the list in "compact" form,

   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3156&t=f&v=c

it's pretty clear how goofy that looks.  :-)

Would it be better to sort the 'linear all' view by message number, instead
of Date header?

Well, hmm...since threads often migrate to different groups, where they have
different message numbers, that wouldn't quite work.  And of course the Date
headers are often set by the poster's local machine's clock, so they're not
perfectly reliable either (that's what's going on here).  The safest thing
would be a global cardinal number, but there isn't that, and the next safest
thing would be to go by the timestamp on the file.

To fix this, I could loop over the list of article IDs just before displaying
them, and fetch their files' timestamps, then sort on that, and then call the
display function with that sorted list (ignoring the Date header).  It would
be about 3 more lines of code and shouldn't slow things down any noticable
way because the files will already be in the cache the second time they're
read (for displaying) and the filesystem can open & close thousands of files
per second.

--Todd