 Administrative / General / 2949
2948  |  2950
Subject:
Cancelling messages via the Web
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:44:37 GMT

Todd,

I couldn't find the thread where this was being discussed.  IIRC, the
biggest issue with allowing people to cancel messages from the Web is
authentication -- only the person who posted the message, and the admin,
should be allowed to cancel said message.

Have you seen how Deja.com allows cancellations?  It handles the
authentication issue nicely, and I think that you could implement something
very much like it.

In the page that says "thank you for your message, it will appear shortly",
you would insert a URL to a "GET" (not "POST") CGI script -- which can be
bookmarked by the user.  The user is already "authenticated" via cookie;
when this URL is loaded from a browser with this user's cookie, the CGI
script would cancel the message.

Unfortunately, this would only work if the user were to bookmark the cancel
URL for each message he / she posted via the Web.  However, you could eaily
generate the needed URL again, and only poster's browser gives over the
right cookie.  Concievably, you could link to a cancel URL from each message
viewed on the Web.

I know I'm skipping about a million technical details here, but I think this
would work well within the model LUGNET uses.

Cheers,
- jsproat

"I've spent the past few years building up an immunity to bullets."
- Angus McGuire