 Administrative / General / 2885
Re: "Set name or number" in search form
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:53:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

Hey Todd -- I'd gotten in the habit of bringing up the lugnet main page
(easily accessible from a netscape personal toolbar link) and pasting a set
number into the pause database search form. But now, with the helpful
message already there, this is a pain -- I have to clear the existing text
before I can paste. I admit that this is not the worst crisis in the world
today, but it's more annoying than it used to be.

Yea, that's not so great is it.  Note that you -can- double-click on it
before typing something, since the spaces between the words are non-breaking
spaces (character #160), but the double-click is actually a requirement if
your browser doesn't automatically highlight the text in an edit box when
you click or tab into it.  :-(

The text wasn't put into the edit box purely for the sake of being helpful
(i.e., annoying), but rather as a replacement for the space-hogging label
that used to be there in front of the edit box.  So the text moved from one
location to another.  Fortunately, there is still one other place that the
text could be moved to without hogging up too much space:  The "Search"
button itself.

OK, try again now and see how that works...  The "Search" button now says
"Set Search".  ("Set Name/Number Search" makes the button too wide.)

--Todd