 Administrative / General / 2786
Re: What has caused .announce to drift?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 03:08:20 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
How do people find out about "news" types of things currently?  Maybe
announce isn't actually broken?  Maybe people don't need it for "news"
types of things?

I think part of the problem is that there's not a well-defined alternative
place to post non-big-news announcements -- like "hi I'm back after not
reading lugnet much last week" and such. If you make lugnet.announce.news,
there ought to be a lugnet.announce.people or lugnet.announce.not-news or
something.

What if a news-by-mail subscription option sent you notifications only of
messages at the top of brand new threads?

Maybe.... but what if there's a major correction? Like "Oh wait, Todd's not
giving out all of the pieces from the next Auczilla for free after all.
Sorry about that." It'd probably be good if people recieve followups of that
nature. :)