 Administrative / General / 2571
Re: Jonathan Wilson's posting privileges on LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:29:00 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
How about a 1 post per day limit to the cad.* heirarchy as a probationary
condition?  This would force Jonathan to more carefully consider what he posts,
and would give everyone a break from the deluge of sometimes rude or irritating
posts.
Is this technically feasable, Todd?
Technically feasable: yes.  Worth the time to implement:  not IMO.

I like this idea too.

I made a comment a little while ago about "amishnet"; I was actually kind of
serious. One of the definining beliefs of the amish (and what largely
seperates them from the background I come from, mennonite) is that shunning
is the way to deal with people who disregard the will of the community. I
believe that this is the wrong approach, even in drastic situations. It
tends towards divisiveness, ego-based power struggles, and worse. I don't
necessarily see that happening here, but I don't like the precedent.
(Although I realize that this is Todd's project and domain, and fully within
the rules.)

I think something like the post-per-day limit may be a good compromise. It
allows the person to still interact and participate in the dialog.

Another suggestion would be to find someone (or a group of someones) who
would volunteer to act as a mentor. Posts wouldn't go directly, but have to
be approved first. I'm not sure if this was suggested by some else in this
thread, but I remember someone (maybe even Todd?) suggesting this in another
case.

Anyway, I'm not going to vote in this, since I'm not an active participant
in the heavily affected areas. A technical "solution" won't solve the
problem, of course. But I would advocate using something like the limit or a
mentor-moderator as a step towards a solution.