 Administrative / General / 2535
Re: CFV: Jonathan Wilson's posting privileges on LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 06:05:10 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jonathan Wilson <wilsonj@xoommail.com> writes:
Eric Kingsley wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/geek/?n=377

I am baffeled as to how that message got on .geek.

According to the NNTP headers in the message, it was posted by you to
lugnet.off-topic.geek on Tuesday, August 3, 1999 at 11:16:38 GMT, from
studun26.murdoch.edu.au, using Netscape 4.03 for Win95.

Still baffled?

I only sent it to tore himself (at least acording to the message in my
sent mail folder I did)

Apparently you posted it with a simultaneous CC to Tore.  (That's actually
not too difficult to do by accident if you're a news newbie.)

That's the only explanation I can think of for its having shown up on the
newsserver's doorstep.

And that makes it OK?  It was still extremely rude whether you sent it to
Tore or posted it.  It showed no respect for Tore at all.

Tore did not send me a rude reply.
He actually took the time to answer my questions, therefore he does not
consider the post rude

I don't think that's a sound logical conclusion, Jonathan.  While it may be
the case that he wasn't insulted, you should also consider the potentially
stronger possibility that Tore was simply being polite back to you because
he's generally a nice polite guy and he knows when to turn the other cheek.
Perhaps this is also similar to PaulG's polite response to your allegedly
rude remark about LDLITE 1.7:

   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=2520
   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=2526

I would bet good money that Paul was also insulted by the tone of your
message to him (certainly everyone else was) and that he felt it was more
productive to set a good example by taking the time to actually answer your
questions rather than to set a bad example by flaming you to a crisp.

and since it was meant only for his eyes that means
that the opinions of the rest of the group as to the rudeness of the post
do not matter as the group should never have seen it in the first place.

I wonder if you understand the gravity of the situation, Jonathan.  There is
a vote afoot which now threatens to expunge you from one or more of the
groups.  (Not for this particular incident with Tore, of course, but for
zillions of other things.  This was just one rock in the pond.)

Whether your response to Tore was intended to be private or public is
probably largely irrelevant in most people's minds.  Perhaps your timing was
bad, or perhaps at your age you simply cannot empathize with someone in
Tore's situation, but most people (it seemed) felt Tore's pain.  Naturally,
they got very upset by what you wrote to him because they respect him and
they know that the last thing he needs right now is anyone nagging about
parts.

Hope this helps,
--Todd

[followups to lugnet.admin.general]