 Administrative / General / 2458
Re: careful planning with newsgroup names (was: De Bouwsteen club)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 03:04:34 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

<snip naming>

I apologize for the name of the .jambalaya group being the gating factor in
its creation (it took a week and half to come up with a name, while more
than 150 messages piled up in .buy-sell-trade) because people were getting
rather antsy about the delay:

   http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=1869
   http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=1892
   http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=1960

All three of these were me. Just one rabble rouser, not a whole mob.

I hope that the name Jambalaya has grown on people over the past few weeks.
Nobody had any objections to it when it was first suggested, but not one
indicated any positive vibes either, so I don't really know what people
think.

I think it's a good solid name which captures the essence and spirit behind
the trade and remains adaptable for the future.

And so did 1/2 dozen others. Like I said then, it's a fine name. One of
many. The (last part of the) name does not matter.

Your point about names (that I cut away) is well taken but to my way of
thinking renaming jambalaya now (not that anyone is suggesting it) from
lugnet.market.jambalaya to lugnet.market.fredhead is not as big of a
change as if you moved it somewhere else but kept it the same last name,
such as going with lugnet.random.box.jambalaya. (terrible example...)

Distingushed names have meaning because of all the components and the
last component in a lot of ways is the least important. I would have
found .loc.us.mi.grr if you had called it .loc.us.mi.gr instead but if
you had moved it to .loc.furniturecities.gr then no. Do you see what I
am driving at? You are (correctly) agonizing over whether lugnet.trains
should become lugnet.lego.town.trains (well, not exactly) to organize it
correctly. That has a comparatively huge impact. changing the name
lugnet.trains to lugnet.train would not (except for all those articles
you'd have to finagle, but that's data, not headspace)

Forgive me for ranting but I have been thinking about LDAP a lot lately

lugnet.