 Administrative / General / 2417
Re: Posting Twice!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:22:59 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
[...]
I've got your input logged an am looking at it now.  So far I don't see
anything weird which would cause a 500-error, but I'll picque it apart until
I understand it.  (A 500-error is an extremely serious problem to get to the
bottom of quickly.)

Fraser,

OK, I've determined that there are at least *three* bugs all interacting in
tandem to cause the problem we are seeing:

1.  I have a bug in my article-posting script:  Whenever you have the
    "Please e-mail me a copy of my message" option checked, the email
    portion of the article-posting script -- which runs after the portion
    which posts the article to the newsserver -- uses the email address you
    gave (which may contain a spamblock), rather than your true email
    address.  In other words, it was trying to send mail to

       fraser@<nospam>lovatt.com

    which isn't valid in the eyes of the mail transfer agent because < and >
    have special meanings in email address syntax.  (I verified that the MTA
    gacks on this this by sending a foofoo message to that address and
    seeing the error.)  Since your real email address (the above minus the
    <nospam> part) was known at the time your article was submitted, this is
    where the email should have been directed.  That's the first bug.

2.  I have a second bug in my article-posting script:  The call to the mail
    transfer agent doesn't handle STDOUT and STDERR properly when the MTA
    reports errors; it's just letting it float through back to the webserver
    as part of the page.  So the child process is writing

       fraser@<nospam>lovatt.com... User unknown

    to STDOUT before the parent process writes any of the HTTP response
    headers.  Hence the 500-error (Internal Server Error).  Your article
    gets posted just fine, but the webserver garbles up the response page.
    That's the second bug.

3.  Your version of MSIE has a bug:  It is submitting your HTML form
    contents twice -- about 3 seconds apart.  Apparently it doesn't like
    receiving the 500-error and freaks out.  But regardless of what it
    thinks about the 500-error, it definitely shouldn't be submitting the
    form a second time without asking you.  That's the third bug.

Obviously I can't fix bug #3, but I can and will certainly eliminate my two
bugs which drew #3 into the limelight.  Fixing #1 and #2 will make #3
disappear without fixing #3.

BTW, since fixing bug #1 would conceal bug #2 in this case, I'm going to fix
bug #2 first, making sure it holds up in light of bug #1, then fix bug #1.

Could you post another test message to the .off-topic.test group (making
sure the "Please e-mail me a copy of my message" option is still checked),
and let me know if you still get the 500-error?  Then I'll go back and fix
the other bug.

Thanks for your help!
--Todd