 Administrative / General / 2323
Re: Now at MIT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 20:26:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Suzanne D. Rich" <suz@media.mit.edu> writes:
Sproaticus wrote:
Suz, does this also apply to your hand in the visual design of LUGNET?
The stereotypical "woman's touch" carries quite an impact when it's
delivered by a graphics design artist!  :-,

Thanks, but I'm afraid you're all at the mercy of Mr.L.  ;-)

Hey dem's fightin' words!  :-)  C'mon, you know it :) once in a while I get
lucky and crank out some razzle-dazzle stuff.  Not often -- and I admit I've
really been on a dry-and-streamlined bent for the past year and a half --
but remember the FLG was included in a major Japanese web design annual!

   http://www.lugnet.com/fibblesnork/lego/guide/wda1999/

Anyway -- lemme tackle Jeremy's question.

Legally, I can certainly run purely graphical things past Suzanne for
feedback -- like 3D web buttons and on-screen arrangements and T-shirt and
mousepad design layouts, etc. for her objective opinions as a graphic
designer, but I can't ask her to share in actually doing the work itself,
otherwise that represents a "mindshare" problem (part of the agreement with
the Lab).  And I can't discuss with her anything truly advanced or
proprietary about LUGNET or AucZILLA, otherwise that represents a "conflict
of interest" problem (also part of the agreement).

Likewise, she can't discuss with me anything secret or proprietary that she
does at the Lab (that's part of her written contract, naturally!).  However,
anything that's going on publicly at the Lab (such as papers or research
that people publish), or things outside of the Lab -- in newsgroups or
people's web pages, for example -- we can certainly talk about so long as it
doesn't turn into a "mindshare" problem.  For example, talking about stuff
casually over dinner is fine, but spending a whole weekend isn't (not that
she'd even have time for that anymore, anyway :).  So it's not like we're
not allowed to talk anymore, we just have certain restrictions.

Fortunately, Suzanne has filled several notebooks full of ideas, drawings,
plans, etc. which were all written down prior to June 1 -- and these have
been and always will be perfectly fair game for LUGNET use.

We've had to re-learn how to communicate over the past few weeks -- thinking
carefully about what we say or how we say it when exchanging technical
thoughts and opinions, so as not to "infect" one another with proprietary
ideas/concepts.  From my point of view, I just pretend she's working at the
Pentagon or somplace like that -- I'll probably never get to know everything
that she's worked on, but oh well, that's life sometimes -- my loss is her
gain!  :)

--Todd