 Administrative / General / 2254
Re: Collapsing the lugnet.loc.uk hierarchy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 21:02:27 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
Now that the web new interface is in place, now is an excellent time to
revisit the shrinking of the lugnet.loc.uk hierarchy to a more appropriate
size.  This is continuing an earlier thread from about 4 weeks ago.

OK.

I think this is a good idea, and it can be done while preserving the
original underlying structure for other purposes -- such as organizing
links more locally (as appropriate) and, with memberships later, allowing
people to associate themselves with a particular sub-area and creating
topic pages for particular sub-areas.

The original 83 groups are incorrect anyway IIRC, Humberside has been
destroyed I believe - there is a post here by *Sy* or similar about it.

So this is official notice that the lugnet.loc.uk newsgroup hierarchy will
be collapsing soon.  76 newsgroups will go away, but the categories on the
web site will still be there (they just won't have newsgroups associated
with them anymore).  These subcategories on the website will then exist
benignly and remain useless for the time being (unless anyone has some
specific links they'd like added to a particular sub-area).

This is still (a tiny bit) open for discussion -- but not so much on the
details as simply whether or not it is still OK with everyone (since it
is a rather drastic step and it means that a small number of existing
articles will be wiped).

Won't these still be available via search on the website or will they go
the way of quote-of-the-day (that rhymes!).

If it goes well with the .loc.uk collapsing, BTW, it probably would be a
good idea to collapse a few other loc hierarchies, most notably .fr, .it,
.es, .nz, .at, .ch, .be, .br, and perhaps also .se, .no, .dk, .de, and .ie.

Well it's not our problem :-)  I would suggest it in their top-level
newsgroups - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Seems a shame to un-do all of those groups, but at least it can be done in
such a way that their empty shells remain on the website and can be re-
activated someday as needed/as appropriate.

Yep, but I doubt it - we in the UK will never number that much ever,
less people come back from their dark ages than they do in the US it
seems, it is more acceptable to be the freak in the US - playing with a
child's toy at 30, anyway enough of me and my mad ramblings.

--
Carbon 60
ICQ # 5643170