 Administrative / General / 2067
Re: member id's: simple numbers or something more?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 15:19:48 GMT

Need to read more but seems to me that any mechanistic scheme needs an
escape clause. if we go with letter IDs, then have the automation be
relatively harsh and inflexible, but allow appeal.

I know, I know, you don't want to be the decider, because that means
that you may be charged as being subjective. But you know what, life is
in some ways subjective and not always completely fair. I think you may
be straining at gnats if you try to make this perfect.

Set up a policy, then allow exceptions on appeal. Offload the decision
onto a board of faithful stalwarts (I volunteer for same) done by email.

Just make sure I can have lar if we go with character based IDs. :-)

p.s.  To anyone who reads this post and feels I've really gone out to the
looney farm this time, well, all I can say is that I actually find this
topic endlessly fascinating!  :-)

well, ya, you have. But if you weren't as anal as you are this place
wouldn't be half as nifty as it is. So keep on.

lugnet.