 Administrative / General / 2019
Re: Allocation of member #'s
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 13:29:44 GMT

Along the lines of the community map, I suggest starting each of the numbers
with some type of classifying attribute. In other words beginning all member
numbers with the year of birth, or year they started reading rtl, they year
they signed up to post on lugnet, etc. This method would give individuals
character according to their number. For example Gary Istock (because nearly
everyone knows who he is (and is aware of the London Bus story )) might have
a member number that would begin with 25LB000 representing 25 London Busses
in his collection.
    I just think that since it is not really possible to keep track of all
members it would be nice if you could know where they are coming from, a
little bit about them.
    I don't know if alphanumeric is a possibility but another thought would
be to begin the ID with a letter representing favorite theme or subtheme. If
I knew of a lugnutter that was as disappointed by the loss of the time
twister series, I might be more inclined to contact them in a non public
forum. (I am joking of course) This would also be a useful feature if say
there were a chat room. If you had enough "fields" the possibility also
opens up that multiple participants could have 8880 or 6990 as their
favorite set represented by the last four digits of the member number. You
could easily identify who has similar interests etc.
    Just a few rambling thoughts.

-Nick

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
[snip]

However, there will definitely be other things which are transferrable --
and so we might conceivably see person-to-person sales, swaps, or auctions
of those popping up.  (One example might be house locations on the • community
map.)

--Todd