 Administrative / General / 13833
Re: Technic sidebar thingie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:21:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
I still think it would be good to clarify your position WRT changing content,

I think what seems to be missing is the description of what global curators
should do and what they should *not* do. This is the first time to my knowledge
that an instance like this has happened (where one curator has overwritten
another curator against their wishes), and maybe I was too hasty in my actions.

I was told going in that I was given this ability to make things look a little
nicer when possible, which would include things like giving content to
non-curatored groups and fixing stale ones. So, at first glance, I saw images
that appeared to be 404 errors, and was going to see if I could fix the links.
And I think that was well within whatever bounds were set for me.  When I
noticed that the pages were explicitly set to the 404-image, and noted that it
was done only to Eric Sophie's posts, I became quite suspicious of the
situation.

Perhaps given that the page was explicitly set to be something incorrect, I
should have gone through the admin channels I would normally go through before
changing site content (probably contacting both you and Rene, since you were on
record as having made the change). And I think that's probably how I'll handle
it going forward with sidebar content, unless it's an extreme example of porn or
profanity or the like. Or unless I hear otherwise.

Anyway, I agree that there's no good set of rules layed out for my sort of
position. I'm sort of like a 2nd-string-backup-admin or something.

and add your email to the admin sidebar (and anyone else who has similar
access).

Hm. It's an issue that I don't show up on the curators page:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/curators/curators.cgi

Although-- this seems a bit strange anyway. It's not showing any of the global
curators, and it still shows Todd & Suzanne as curators of the admin sidebar,
which (while probably true) shouldn't be.

I think initially Todd & Suzanne were the only ones with global curatorship, and
they probably wanted to be *off* the list as curators of un-owned groups so that
they didn't get bogged with more email. But that's just a guess.

As for my name (and a scant few others) showing up on the lugnet.admin sidebar,
I dunno. I wouldn't mind my name being on the list, but I think it might give
the wrong impression if I were merely added to the list as-is. I wouldn't want
to give the impression that I was a fully-fledged admin, because I'm not. I'm
not the person to go to about site administration, policy changes, or whatever.
If there's a problem, I might be able to help you, but maybe not. But I'm
certainly not one of the go-to-guys.

DaveE