 Administrative / General / 13828
Re: Technic sidebar thingie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:18:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
Dave, don't bother. I did it, and I emailed Rene, telling him that I had done
it, that it would be changed back in a few days, and to let me know if he had
any problem with it. Apparently that email didn't get to you.

Nope, I was out of the loop on that one, and if I had been in it I probably
would've voiced my opinion that it shouldn't happen. I am glad to hear that you
talked to Rene about it beforehand, though.

Have you been given authority to "fix" Lugnet content without say so from
Rene or Jerry? If so, maybe you should add your email to the lugnet.admin
sidebar.

I was granted access to change curator sidebars some time ago, before the
changeover happened. So, no, not by Rene and Jerry explicitly. And if they'd
like to remove me from the list, that's fine, or if they want to keep me on the
list but require their authorization before actually *doing* anything, that's
their call too. I'd be perfectly willing to remove myself from the list if they
wish.

For the most part, I've got the *ability* but not the *authority* to change
things on Lugnet, and I've always talked to Rene and/or Jerry before making any
changes. Certainly if I was trying to change the set guide pages or make a new
group or something I'd get express permission first. But in the case of sidebar
content, it's a bit fuzzier. Curators can make changes to their own areas
more-or-less at their leisure, without approval from the admins. If they want
to, they can make whatever sidebar content they want. So I figured this would be
well within bounds.

My biggest concern was that this was hacked. I wouldn't put it out of the realm
of possibility to see someone intentionally hacking a site in order to make fun
of or insult Eric-- and I really didn't want it to appear as though Lugnet as an
entity was attempting to make a personal statement about him.

If Rene's fine with it, I'll certainly go ahead and just be quiet about it-- and
I certainly won't change it again without discussion-- but I do disagree with
the action.

DaveE