 Administrative / General / 13826
Re: Technic sidebar thingie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:39:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Timothy Gould wrote:
Given Eric' recent use of DMCA notices to protect his copyrights I don't
think you can neccessarily say that it is not suitable. Such an action
protects Lugnet from recieving such notices for breaching his copyright by
linking to his images.

Well, I admit I wasn't aware of Eric's recent stint with copyright notice
issues, however, I still think this action was inappropriate.

First off, it doesn't protect Lugnet to any large degree because Eric's posts
specifically reference the images in question. Further, the technic page still
linked to the posts containing those images. A better action would be to simply
*remove* Eric's links entirely from the sidebar, since this would give less
liability to Lugnet.

However, Lugnet specifically reserves the right to display information posted to
it, which Eric did. So Lugnet is able to display whatever he posted without
worry, since Eric agreed to the Lugnet TOU. You could argue that his images were
not *directly* posted to Lugnet, so Eric could still claim that Lugnet was
violating copyright, but if you claimed that, you'd also have to allow the
*links* to the images being posted in the sidebar legally.

More to the point, however, since you pointed this out, it seems likely to me
that this was intended to be a direct insult to Eric's attempts at protecting
his image copyrights.

I fully appreciate people's disapproval of Eric's behavior, but I do NOT think
that Lugnet should be made to appear to have a personal opinion in this matter.
As a curator, you have the ability to represent Lugnet. This does not
necessarily mean that curators can't or shouldn't (as an individual) disagree
with Eric. But it does mean that they shouldn't abuse their abilities.

I'm not terribly interested in dredging up the old precedents which I'm sure we
could provide, but I will say that I don't think it's right for Lugnet as an
entity to treat any individual unfairly.

If Eric wished for his images to be removed from the Lugnet sidebar, and made a
request to that effect, that's totally fine. But I don't expect that was the
case.

DaveE