 Administrative / General / 1357
1356  |  1358
Subject:
.clubs / .org hierarchies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 19:53:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
Yes, okay.  A point you made in an earlier post is that lugnet.org and
lugnet.com are potentially confusing to the starting user.  Perhaps if you
used .club. instead of .org. ?  It breaks the domain-mapping paradigm, but
it's a little more descriptive.

At one time in fact there was a clubs.* hierarchy -- I'd mistaken what
someone at PNLTC had said; I thought they said they wanted a focused PNLTC
discussion group, but they didn't, so we deleted the group (and the
hierarchy).

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/fullthread.cgi?lugnet.announce:9

The nice thing about "org" is that "organization" is such a wonderfully
generic term.  Companies are organizations, clubs are organizations, user
groups are organizations, schools are organizations, etc.

There was also here at one time a lugnet.lug.* hierarchy, but that went away
too when it was realized that these would belong closer to their natural
spots in the lugnet.loc.* hierarchy.  And although baylug.org is a LUG,
pnltc.org and gmltc.org and ldraw.org are not LUGs.  But they're all
organizations.

John Gerlach of .trains just made a suggestion of using .trains.clubs --
what I was thinking of .trains.org to be.  But .clubs is really nice and
intuitive compared to .org, and the notion of a "train club" (in those exact
words) is, I think, extremely prevalent, so that even though a high-level
.club or .clubs hierarchy might not be the most fitting name, a .clubs sub-
hierarchy of .trains might make a *lot* of sense.

--Todd