 Administrative / General / 13387
Re: Lugnet: WAKE UP!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2006 21:43:42 GMT

   the confounding signup process has meant that new users (the lifeblood of the community)have all but been out right discouraged to join the site.

warning: raging bile duct

Yup. Living proof right here. The registering process is a pain, and due to the posting hassles I’ve posted a grand total of 8 posts on lugnet for the 2-or so years I’ve been registered here. No matter what you say about newsreaders and how easy it is once you’ve got all the software set up, I just can’t be bothered by the process.

The point is plain and simple; the internet oldbies (which are the main folks who are capable of posting right here) know how to handle this, but the new users who don’t know jack about newsreaders and who are only used to those newstyle forums simply don’t have the patience and persistence to deal with outdated bureaucratic posting systems. There’s better, more intuitive software out there.

Sure, me hardly posting here isn’t a loss to the community. You’ll say the persistent WILL find out how to post... that’s a bug, not a feature. It’s a fact that Lugnet users are dwindling due to the system. Lugnet software needs to evolve, so it won’t go the way of the dinosaur.

Oh, and did I mention that since my email-adress change it took the Lugnet server a grand total of TWO MONTHS to approve my new email adress for posting? Yeah, that was great.

/bile

Disregard this as you see fit.