 Administrative / General / 13350
Re: IRON MECHA - The Qwelder Mech - FOR SALE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:53:27 GMT

Hi Suz,

THanks for taking the time to respond to this. I hadn’t noticed that Jeremy had switched it across to .admin.general. If I had I would have moved it elsewhere.

--SNIP--

   ... Perhaps you feel that there is no time for even mild swearing (in Australia I doubt that bu* is considered a swearword at any legal level let alone in the public view

Is this in fact what Jeremy was refering to?

http://news.lugnet.com/build/mecha/?n=14293

I know LUGNET doesn’t have a list of “okay swearwords”, but I’d think if stated as “BS” it’d go by unnoticed.

I’ll remember that for the future. I did make sure not to spell the word out.

   I haven’t read every post in this thread yet, just the ones which have come through .admin because I get alerted to those in my main e-mail box. (As an aside, it’s always odd for me to hear arguments that way because they’ve usually already become quite heated..) I plan to check out this whole “fight”(?) later today.

Good luck with that ;)

   Frankly, comments like this bother me more:

   but I realise USAians often have stricter views)

:- strictly my own opinion, of course. ...it just seemed inappropriate/unnecessary.

It wasn’t intended in a “my country is better than yours” sort of a way or in any other negative manner. More pointing out that I am constantly working to guess what might be offensive to people from a different culture. I think Australians don’t tend to see some words as profanity that other English speaking countries do (see this recent example).

   Jeremy’s comment above seems like friendly common sense. It’s too bad that the context of his post could cause it to be taken personally. (just an observation)

It was more the fact that he stated that he doesn’t come here very often and then proceeded to give his view. I’m a fairly regular and active poster who has been around since the very near the start too and I kind of get my back up a bit when someone pops back in just to tell me off. That said, I shouldn’t have been quite so uptight in my response.

   More later, -Suz everyone please relax meantime.

thread brought over to .admin.general

Tim

PS. Jeremy, I’m sorry if I came across a bit harsh in the heat of the moment.