 Administrative / General / 12565
Re: Friendly reminder about use of .general
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 06:17:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
Just a friendly reminder to all of you loyal users of Lugnet.

While .general is sometimes seen as the main newsgroup of Lugnet, it should be
noted that posts are on topic for .general only if there is not a better
newsgroup for them to go in.  Of course this rule is flexible if someone is
unsure or if a post is particularly important.  However, I've noticed quite a
number of off-topic posts in .general the past few days.

Kinda goes against the descrption for .general:

lugnet.general– General community discussion of LEGO® sets, themes, promotions,
characters, business units, parks, histories, future plans, catalogs, item
pricing and availability, etc.; also, community-wide discussion of experiences
and ideas (set collection, educational usage, observations, original stories,
games, holiday fun, rumors, musings, weird dreams, etc.) NOTE: 1. Please direct
U.S.-only discussions to lugnet.loc.us; 2. LEGO color issues are off-topic for
lugnet.general; use lugnet.color instead.

You can talk about Lego sets in general, but there are groups for different
themes. You can talk about the Lego promotions in general, but there is a group
for promotions. You can about the Lego parks in general, but there are groups
for the Legoland parks. You can talk about the pricing and availability in
general - but there are groups for that.

I can go on - but I hope you get the picture.

Basically, the only off-topic post in general is color since that IS listed as
being off-topic. It would seem to me everything else is fair game. If it is not
you are only confucing people by saying it IS ok to talk about certian things
that there are other groups for, but then also telling them it is not ok to talk
about them in general -- all in the same breath.