 Administrative / General / 12495
Re: In support of Larry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 18:46:57 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney wrote:
I'm ashamed of all the Larry-bashing that's been taking place.

If you've only interacted with the man online (which I believe is the case with
some of his harshest critics), you have no perspective on who he really is.
Hence, you're really not qualified to judge him. May be qualified to
CONSTRUCTIVELY criticize his online interactions, perhaps, but not to judge the
person. Period.

Larry has a thicker skin than anyone I know. He puts up with personal attacks to
the frequency and degree that would have caused me to stop giving back years
ago. What is Larry sticking around to do? Give back to the people who trash him
by his service to the community.

I make no (public) judgement about his character but I would make the following
points in reply to this post:

1. Working tirelessly for a community does not automatically mean you are suited
to any particular role within that community, and
2. When considering suitability for the administration of an online forum, I
would consider online record to be at least as important as his offline
personality.

ROSCO