 Administrative / General / 12064
12063  |  12065
Subject:
A concern voiced publicly
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 04:34:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello.

I don’t usually post to this group, as I don’t find it necessary. Others often voice my concerns more eloquently and cogently. But perhaps this time, Lugnet Admins can help me understand.

Today, I read this post: http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=50002 in which 7 other groups were crossposted. There is a specific group for this subject, and far as I interperet the Lugnet Terms of Service, the subject only fits these: .general, .lego, .dear-lego, .color. The outstanding 4 groups are major themes: .space, .train, .starwars, .castle. The subject of the post has received major attention lately, has prompted harsh language often unfit for a kid-themed hobby, and has further divided the community. It is in absolutely no danger of being underrepresented on this site, rather the reverse: it appears to be consuming certain members of the community and is getting out of hand.

My concern is this: is the author of the post unclear about where to post such a subject? Admittedly he set the follow-up to appropriate groups, but I feel that propagation on such a wide front is against some sort of Lugnet etiquette. While I name no seniority or community standing of any kind, I have been here long enough (a Lugnet beta-tester) to have witnessed patterns of operation of this site. Maybe there are users who haven’t seen this, don’t care, or feel that such a subject is an exception. Such a posting method does not, IMO, fit Lugnet’s intended theory of operation thus far.

When I participate here, I rely on Lugnet’s Terms Of Service to maintain what this place is. I see and adhere to site Terms, as well as the additional Terms for each forum. In light of the posting linked above, I would please request Lugnet Admin to review all the site’s Terms of Use and how they relate to off-topic discussion in groups, especially as it relates to a subject that knowingly starts being off-topic to groups, regardless of follow-ups. I would name Discussion Group Term #13 as found on http://www.lugnet.com/admin/terms/agreement as a possible example against such wide posting, and would inquire about the spirit of Discussion Group Term #12 and whether it applies.

I am not recommending any course of action, and have no expectations of any outcome. I am fully aware of site Acceptance Term #4 found in the first section of that page, and especially Acceptance Term #9. At the same time, I wonder *if* anything will be done.

In light of the common sense named in Discussion Group Term #12, I will just be interested in observing.

-Tom McDonald
http://www.spamcake.com